Cornwall in focus

  • Share
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email a friend

    Please enter your own name and your friend's email address below and we will email them a link to this page.


    Cancel


    This email address will only be used this once to send your friend a link to this page. No record will be kept, and the email address will not be shared with any third party.
  • Print this page

Stray Park Mine, Cornwall

Stray Park

Principal ores: TIN & COPPER

Camborne: grid reference SW655402


Notable minerals: Cassiterite.

Stray Park Mine lies on the southeastern fringe of Camborne and to the west of Dolcoath. It was first recorded in the late 1700's. Originally a copper mine, Stray Park amalgamated with Wheal Gons at the close of the eighteenth century and an be found in the mining history book as alternatively part of Dolcoath Mine or as a mine in its own right. Stray Park's heyday was at the start of the 1830's. It is thought that Camborne Vean (Grid Reference SW652398) was added to the sett around about 1840, and Wheal Francis in 1847 with the fortunes of the mines fluctuating over the next ten or fifteen years. After losses were reported in 1854 and 1855, the decision was taken late in 1856 to separate the three mines once more.


The nearby Harriets Pumping Engine house, Dolcoath


In 1857, the Mineral Lord John Francis Basset, of Tehidy, was approached for a new lease on Stray Park. The intention being to drive the shafts deeper to search for tin lying below the 140 fathom (840 feet) level. A new 64-inch pumping engine and a 24-inch winding(whim) engine was installed over the main Machine (Engine) shaft. A period of four years was spent refurbishing and draining the shaft before Stray Park actually produced any tin. The tin produced along with the last reserves of copper helped to reduce the debts incurred but not pay them off completely. The owners decided in 1864 to ask permission to link with the neighbouring Dolcoath Mine at the 215 fathom level. This was agreed, but did not really solve Stray park's cashflow problems. An accident over the winter of 1868 caused the mine to flood. This was to be the last straw for the owners and the mine was put up for sale in August 1870. The mine was bought by Dolcoath for just under £2,000.


Plaque Harriets Pumping Engine house, Dolcoath


For more information on Stray Park and its neighbouring mines please purchase a copy of the excellent Cornwall's Central Mines: The Southern District by T. A. Morrison.


There is a wealth of information on the mines and miners of Cornwall available. Why not explore Cornwall's industrial heritage through the Bookstore?

Other nearby mines and their main ores

North Dolcoath (approx. 0.9 km; COPPER & SILVER ORE)

Camborne Vean (approx. 1.4 km; COPPER 1845-85 & TIN 1857-84)

Carn Camborne (approx. 1.6 km; COPPER, TIN, ZINC & ARSENIC)

West Wheal Seton (approx. 1.7 km; COPPER, TIN & ARSENIC)

South Tolcarne (approx. 1.9 km; COPPER)

Pendarves United (approx. 1.9 km; COPPER & TIN)

Wheal Seton (approx. 1.9 km; COPPER, TIN, ZINC & ARSENIC)

South Roskear (approx. 2.1 km; COPPER, TIN & ARSENIC)

North Roskear (approx. 2.1 km; COPPER & TIN )

Great Condurrow (approx. 2.4 km)

 

Great Flat Lode

Great Flat Lode

Explore the rich mining history of the Great Flat Lode near Camborne-Redruth

Walking Cornwall

Walking Cornwall

Walk the Coast of Cornwall in easy bite-sized chunks

Mining Database

Mining database

Dig a little deeper into Cornwall's mining history

Outdoor Gear

Outdoor Gear

Outdoor Gear - Stay warm and dry with the latest outdoor gear

Maps

Maps

Be safe and prepared with the latest maps from the Ordnance Survey

Information

Contact

Newsletter

About us

Privacy policy

Cookies

Advertise

Promote events

Advertising options

 

Follow us

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

 

Related sites

Devon in Focus

Somerset in Focus

Dorset in Focus

A SouthWest in Focus brand
© Shimbo 2000 - 2017

© http://www.cornwallinfocus.co.uk 2000 - 2017