Lelant Consols Mine, Cornwall
St Ives: grid reference SW504359
Lelant Consols was a relatively small tin mine in Lelant Parish. It lay just south of Cripplesease and to the east of Nancledra on the moors of Penwith, West Cornwall. To the north lay Wheal Sisters. The mine is known to have been at work from about 1829 as it is reported in W. J. Henwood's 'Account of Steam-Engines in Cornwall' (1830), as having a pumping engine with a '15-inch cylinder with 7.5-feet stroke running at 2.7 strokes per minute'.
Thomas Spargo states in his book The Mines of Cornwall (1865), that Lelant Consols was '... in Uny Lelant, in 963 shares. Purser: Mr. William Richards of 17 Regent Terrace, Penzance. Manager: Captain James Williams of Lelant. Mineral Lords: Lords of Trembethew Manor - Messrs. Rodd, Tremayne, Stephens and Tyringham. Dues 1-20th; depth of adit, 11 fathoms, depth below adit 70 fathoms. Rock - Granite. About 40 men usually employed; but at present, not so many. Pumping engine 24-inch; Winding engine 20-inch. One water Stamps.
The Company commenced operations about 15 years ago and have displayed great patience, having been paying calls regularly during that period. ...They sold, in 1864, about 12 tons of tin.
The present operations are on another part of the sett, where it is hoped better results will attend their labours. The mine being adjacent to the rich Wheal Margaret - on parallel lodes - the non-success hitherto has been a great disappointment.'.
Lelant Consols is reported to have produced almost £10,000 worth of black tin between the years of 1853 and 1860, with by far the best year's production taking place in 1857 when 85.8 tons of black tin worth £6,355.60 was sold. There is little further information on Lelant Consols apart from the fact it was managed by James Williams between 1859 and 1864 and worked the ground from three shafts: Engine Shaft; Rodd's Shaft and Richards' Shaft. Unfortunately, Spargo's optimism was misplaced as all activity ceased when the mine was suspended later in 1865.
Some time in the mid 1850's, part of the sett was taken to form Wheal Kitty Lelant. Once again Spargo offers us an insight into the state of the mine in 1865: '... in Uny Lelant, in 1024 shares. Purser and Manager: Captain Thomas Richards, Redruth. Mineral Owners: Messrs. Tyringham and Rogers, one half each. Dues 1-20th. Depth of adit 27 fathoms, depth below adit 163 fathoms. Rock - Granite. 120 men, 16 females and 11 boys employed. 2 Pumping engines of 33 and 28-inches respectively. 24-inch Stamping and Winding engine. Mineral sold in 1864, black tin realising £6,708.
Works recommenced about 15 years ago. The Company have divided £10,000. The previous calls were £3,000. There was a profit in 1864.'
For more information read the excellent Cornish Mines: Metalliferous and Associated Minerals, 1845-1913 (Mineral Statistics of the United Kingdom, 1845-1913) by Roger Burt.
There is a wealth of information on the mines and miners of Cornwall available. Why not explore Cornwall's industrial heritage through the Bookstore?
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Wheal Sisters (approx. 0.8 km; TIN & COPPER)
Wheal Reeth (Reeth Consols) (approx. 0.8 km; TIN)
Giew Mine (approx. 0.9 km; TIN)
Wheal Merth (approx. 2.4 km; TIN)
Tyringham Consols (approx. 2.8 km)
Georgia Consols (approx. 2.8 km; TIN)
Wheal Providence (approx. 3.1 km; COPPER & TIN)
Goole Pellas (approx. 3.4 km; TIN)
St. Ives Consols (approx. 3.5 km; TIN & COPPER)
Trelyon Consols (approx. 3.5 km; TIN & COPPER)