Grambler & St. Aubyn Mine, Cornwall
Gwennap: grid reference SW711419
Wheal Grambler was an ancient mine and its sett lies about one mile to the east of Redruth, beside the St. Day road, on land surrounding Grambler Farm. The mine formerly known as East Wheal Sparnon is known to have been at work between 1792 and 1798 and also between 1805 and 1808 where it is reported as producing 1,200 tons of copper ore. Wheal Grambler was amalgamated with St. Aubyn mine in 1834, the new sett bordering Wheal Cupid to the north and including North Wheal Grambler copper and tin mine - Grid Ref. SW714423. Although the new concern produced quite sizeable amounts of copper it was never very profitable and had quite a stop-start existence. In its lifetime Wheal Grambler & St. Aubyn, also known as St. Aubyn United, raised over 12,500 tons of copper ore, finally closing in 1893.
The mine worked the lodes trending SW-NE atop the western fringes of the Carn Marth granite and lie to the west of the St. Day mines of Wheal Pink, West Wheal Jewell and Cathedral Mine. Lodes on the sett included: North Grambler Lode worked from King's Shaft, North Grambler Shaft and Old Engine Shaft; William's Lode cut by William's Shaft; Simmons' Lode cut by Simmons' Shaft; Michell's Lode worked from Michell's Shaft, Tregellas Shaft, Powell's Shaft and Murray's Shaft. Other shafts included Perkins' Shaft, St Aubyn Shaft and Davey's Shaft.
Management on the mine included: Managers - John Davey (1859-64) and William Tregay (1870-75), Chief Agents - John Michell (1859-64) and John Tregay (1870-75). The Purser between 1859 and 1862 was William Richards.
Joseph Yelloly Watson in his 'Compendium of British Mining' (1843) describes Grambler & St Aubyn as '... In Gwennap; were worked many years ago, and commenced again by Capt. W. Mitchell in 1834, who sunk forty-seven fathoms to the adit, and drove forty fathoms to intersect the shaft, when, (owing to Captain Mitchell's death) the mines were abandoned, after an outlay of £2,580. Mr. Adam Murray, and Capt. Thomas Kitto, jun., then became the purchasers, and the present company commenced working in 1840, There are several lodes, both of tin and copper, in the sett (which is surrounded by good mines,) and held by lease for sixteen years, at one-fifteenth dues. To the present time, near £10,000. have been expended by the proprietors, two hundred and forty-four in number, and have returned ores to the amount of £618.'.
Meanwhile Thomas Spargo writes in 'The Mines of Cornwall and Devon' (1865) that the mine was '... in Gwennap and Redruth, Cornwall, in 486 shares. Purser, Mr. F. W. Dabb, Redruth. Manager, Captain John Michell, Gwennap. Landowners, Mr. Beauchamp's representatives, half; Mr. Pendarves, half of Grambler. Duke of Buckingham, ll-16th, and C. Trelawny, Esq., 5-16th of other lands (Tolcarne). Dues, 18th, Tolcarne; 1-24th Grambler. Depth of adit, 44 fathoms. Depth under it, 96 fathoms. Rocks, granite and elvan. 40 men, 3 females, and 30 boys employed. Pumping-engine, 60-inch. Winding-engine, 18-inch.
This was a dividend mine, but is not so at present. They have been making calls for several years, but the prospects are much improved of late; the returns will shortly, it is said, meet the cost.'
Production figures for the various sections of the Grambler & St Aubyn sett were
Grambler & St Aubyn: 1845-68 and 1866-72 8,885 tons of 9.5% copper ore and 4 tons of black tin between 1852-74
North Grambler: 1859-69 2,648 tons of 8% copper ore
St Aubyn United: 1871-81 1,379 tons of 8.25% copper ore and 25 tons of black tin between 1873 and 1876.
For more information on production dates and so on please see Roger Burt's excellent book Cornish Mines: Metalliferous and Associated Minerals, 1845-1913 (Mineral Statistics of the United Kingdom, 1845-1913).
There is a wealth of information on the mines and miners of Cornwall available. Why not explore Cornwall's industrial heritage through the Bookstore?
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Wheal Sparnon (approx. 0.4 km; COPPER, COBALT & GOLD)
Pednandrea (approx. 0.7 km; TIN & COPPER)
Wheal Trefusis (approx. 0.8 km; COPPER & TIN)
Cathedral Mine (approx. 1.1 km; COPPER)
Wheal Bucketts (approx. 1.3 km; COPPER)
United Mines (Clifford Amalgamated) (approx. 1.3 km; COPPER & TIN)
Treleigh Wood (approx. 1.4 km; TIN & COPPER)
West Wheal Jewell (approx. 1.4 km; COPPER & TIN)
Pennance (approx. 1.6 km; COPPER & TIN)
East Wheal Tolgus (approx. 1.7 km; COPPER, TIN & ZINC)