Cargoll Mine, Cornwall
Perranzabuloe: grid reference SW835542
Notable minerals: Blende, Chalcopyrite, Galena & Marcasite.
Situated about 2 miles south of St. Newlyn East, the sett of Cargoll Mine is now a 'wind farm' immediately north of the present Carland Cross roundabout on the A30. It is often overshadowed by its more famous neighbour - East Wheal Rose. The mine is described as having worked from 'ancient times' although records only survive from the middle of the nineteenth century.
The mine worked the ground from Mitchell's Engine Shaft - its engine house housing a 72-inch pumping engine and also from Daubuz's Engine Shaft via a 70-inch pumping engine. Thomas Spargo also reports in his account below that Cargoll also possessed a 24-inch whim engine and a waterwheel.
Mining Historian Thomas Spargo reports in his book 'The Mines of Cornwall and Devon: Statistics and Observations' (1865) that Cargoll was '... in the Parish of Newlyn, in 916 shares. Purser, Mr. Edward Mitchell. Manager, Capt. John Grose, Newlyn. Mineral Owners, Bishop of Exeter and Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Dues 1s. 4d. in the pound. Adit, 22 fathoms deep. Depth under adit, 120 fathoms. 152 men, 31 females, and 41 boys employed'on the works. Rock clay-slate. 2 steam-engines pumping water: one of 72-inch, other 70-inch. 1 winding-engine, 24-inch cylinder. There is also a 30-feet water-wheel drawing water.
Minerals Sold in the Year 1864, Copper ore: 121 Tons 6 cwt. 0 qrs. for £1,692 16s 6d; Lead Ore: 718 tons 3 cwt. 3 qrs. for 12,170 11s 5d; Blende: 103 tons 7 cwt. 2 qrs. for £455 10s 4d and 12 tons of arsenic sold for £8 2s 0d making a total of £14,327 0s 3d.
This mine was included at first in the East Wheal Rose sett, but during the working of that mine little or no attention was paid to this part of the sett. When East Wheal Rose failed, attention was given to Cargoll, and with very gratifying results; for the adventurers now receive regular dividends, and are likely so to do for a long time to come.'.
The mine was suspended in 1870, with all work underground ending. The mine did however work its stockpiles or burrows for several more years. Records of production are very patchy. We have the following information gleaned from historian J. H. Collins in his book of 1912 entitled 'Observations on the West of England Mining Region', he reports that between 1849 and 1864 Cargoll produced over 6,890 tons of lead, whilst between 1845 and 1884, Cargoll produced 9,800 tons of lead, 177,400 ounces of silver, as well as copper and the sulphides of zinc (blende) and iron (pyrite).
There is a wealth of information on the mines and miners of Cornwall available. Why not explore Cornwall's industrial heritage through the Bookstore?
Other nearby mines and their main ores
East Wheal Rose (approx. 1.7 km; SILVER, COPPER & ZINC)
Duchy Peru (approx. 5.0 km; HAEMATITE, IRON ORE, OCHRE, UMBER, LEAD, ZINC, COPPER & SILVER-COPPER)
Great Retallack (approx. 5.1 km; IRON, LEAD, ZINC & SILVER)
Wheal Chiverton (approx. 5.5 km; LEAD & SILVER)
Treamble (approx. 5.8 km; HAEMATITE, IRON ORE, OCHRE, UMBER, LEAD, ZINC, COPPER & SILVER-COPPER)
West Wheal Chiverton (approx. 6.2 km; LEAD & SILVER)
Great South Chiverton (approx. 7.0 km; LEAD, ZINC & ARSENIC)
Budnick Consols (approx. 7.0 km; LEAD, ZINC & TIN)
New Wheal Chiverton (approx. 7.1 km; LEAD, SILVER, ZINC, ARSENIC & PYRITE)
Perran Consols (Wheal Vlow) (approx. 7.9 km; LEAD, SILVER & TIN)